Would you like to make your WICT Membership even more meaningful?
Volunteer to help the WICT Rocky Mountain Chapter!
- Develop your leadership skills
- Get to know others in the industry
- Build a strong network of dynamic industry professionals
- Learn more about various aspects of the Cable and Telecommunications business
- Have more fun!
Available positions are listed to the right. Please Contact Us if you are interested in applying or with any questions!
FIRST Volunteers: WE NEED YOU (Yes, you!)
What is FIRST? “FIRST” stands for “For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology.” It was founded in 1989 by Dean Kamen — a rock star to hundreds of thousands of high schoolers, and inventor of everything from the Segway to medical instrumentation. More here: www.usfirst.org
What is cableFIRST? In 2013, senior leaders from Comcast, Time Warner Cable, SCTE and WICT met at the international FIRST finals, in St. Louis. Intent: To find a way to widen cable’s relationship with the high school robotics teams within the cable footprint, so as to hopefully attract that talent into the industry later. The Rocky Mountain chapters of each were selected to spearhead a mentoring/volunteer pilot in 2014.
Why FIRST matters to RM WICT: The Rocky Mountain chapter owns a long history of taking the lead on technical programs. As a chapter and as an industry, we’re committed to attracting more talent (especially women) to technology. People call this “STEM” — Science, Technology, Engineering & Math. US FIRST (www.usfirst.org) is perhaps the most proactive, successful STEM program the world.
How you can help: Please join Leslie Ellis and Keely Buchanan in a first-ever pilot program to pair WICT and SCTE with Colorado high school “FIRST” robotics teams. Specifically: Regional scrimmage, April 3-6, Richie Center. Volunteers needed! Let’s show them what cable can do when we put our energy on something:
- Go to https://my.usfirst.org/FIRSTPortal/Login/VIMS_Login.aspx
- Click the Create Account button under New Volunteers
- Answer the questions are you NASA or JPL personnel or NASA badged contractor? (yes/no)
- Click Next
- Enter profile information (Email, Organization, Home Address, Phone, etc.)
- Create a password
- Click Create Account
- You will receive an email confirmation – click on the link in the email to activate your account
- You will then be taken to a page asking you to enter information about you, your expertise, and your volunteer role applications – click FIRST Volunteer System.
- Enter your email address and your password, then click Login
- Read and accept the terms for volunteering, then click OK.
- Fill out the About You section. NOTE: Please select -NOT LISTED- for Affiliations/Organizations, then enter WICT (Women in Cable Telecommunications). When complete, click Submit
- Fill in the Expertise section, then click Submit. NOTE: Feel free to mention WICT Rocky Mountain in the notes section.
- Fill in the Volunteer, Event & Role Application section. Select FRC – FIRST Robotics Competition and then select Colorado. Click Find Event. Then, click Select for the FRC Colorado Regional event in Denver, CO 04/03/14 – 04/05/14.
- Select up to five roles that interest you (click Role Description for more info), then select the day(s) you would be available, then add any comments, then click Apply for Selected Roles.
- You will be taken back to the My Volunteer Role Applications & Assignments page – click Apply for an Event.
- You will immediately receive a confirmation email from email@example.com with the information you provided. NOTE: Please forward this email to Keely and Leslie so that we can coordinate WICT RM volunteers.
- You will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator for the event.